ESTA provide a DBS Disclosure service for our members. If you meet the eligibility criteria set by the UK government, you can apply for a DBS check. Under current UK legislation, self-employed individuals cannot apply for a standard or an enhanced level of DBS check unless a third party, such as ESTA, requests the check on their behalf. The cost of this service is £70.
Self-employed individuals can apply for a Basic Disclosure by themselves but this is the lowest level of DBS check and is not suitable for one-to-one teaching.
Eligibility tests for a DBS Standard Disclosure or a DBS Enhanced Disclosure are available to anyone within the following three categories:
- a person whose normal duties include caring for, training, supervising or being in sole charge of children
- a person whose normal duties involve unsupervised contact with children under arrangements made by a responsible person’ (a responsible person would include a parent or teacher)
- a person working in schools whose work provides opportunities for contact with children
Once we have requested the DBS check for you, you will need to send the completed application form and the requested ID documents off with the required payment. The check will then be processed through the DBS and your local police force and you will be sent a DBS certificate in the post once your Disclosure has been issued. ESTA will be notified once your certificate has been issued.
The whole process takes between 4-8 weeks on average but sometimes it can be a bit quicker (within 2 weeks) depending on the workload and staff resource of your local police force.
The DBS Update Service is a service run by the government and can be used if you need a re-usable/transferable Disclosure.
The Update Service is an online subscription service that allows you to keep DBS certificates up-to-date and allows employers to check a certificate online, with your consent. The certificate can be used again when you apply for a position in the same workforce, where the same type and level of check is required.
Benefits of joining the Update Service include:
- it saves you time and money
- you can take your DBS certificate from role to role within the same workforce where the same type and level of check is required
- employers can make instant online status checks of DBS certificates linked to your subscription
- it enhances safeguarding processes
DBS Update Service subscription costs £13 a year and starts from the date your DBS certificate is issued. The £13 fee is payable by debit or credit card only. A direct debit can be set up to ensure your subscription renews automatically every year. DBS will only accept registrations for the DBS Update Service between the date your DBS disclosure is issued and 19 days after the disclosure is issued.
You can only subscribe to the DBS Update Service via the DBS website.