Corporate Gold members
- Click here to email
- David Kesel
- 0118 968 0910
18-24 Turnham Green Terrace
- United Kingdom
Music Teachers' Board
The Music Teachers’ Board offer Instrumental graded qualifications which were created by teachers for teachers.
The Music Teachers’ Board, a teacher led examination board, has been developing these qualifications for several years. Our Ofqual regulated grades 1-8 and pre-grades, are recorded in the lesson by the teacher, submitted online and marked by our specialist examiners in any of 25 instruments and voice.
Keep up to date with our news on @mtbexams or ask us any questions via email@example.com
Music exams are an invaluable tool for teachers by providing targets and motivation for their pupils. However, traditional methods are not suitable for everyone and the stress of entering the examination room and playing to a visiting examiner is a familiar one.
Our graded exams have continued without disruption during this difficult period and we have introduced a number of new measures to support teachers and learners affected by the Covid-19 outbreak:
• Exams Over Webcam: The exam is recorded and submitted to us by the student/parent using our app on their phone or tablet. The teacher/centre is required to conduct and verify this exam over webcam.
• Free Choice Pieces: Candidates can now enter one of our exams with up to three free choice pieces. However, they will still need to prepare the other components of our exam: scales, technical, reading & listening exercises. All of these elements can be downloaded for free from the MTB website.
• Optional Accompaniments: We have made accompaniments optional over this period.
Welcome to MTB Exams, exams to smile about:
As there is no visiting examiner, unlike other boards, our exams offer -
• Complete flexibility over exam dates - Our grades can be taken at any time without having to enter months in advance or accommodate exam periods and visiting examiner dates, helping teachers to optimise a pupil’s rate of progress.
• Reduced stress levels for pupils and teachers - We believe that the whole process of learning to play a musical instrument, including taking grade exams, should be a positive and enjoyable one. Taking the exam in a familiar environment with your own teacher instead of a visiting examiner significantly reduces the stress experienced by candidates.
• Lower costs - Our exams are less expensive than those of traditional boards.
• Specialist examiners - Uniquely, MTB exams are only marked by instrument specialists. Only a specialist cello teacher/player will mark a cello exam, a guitar specialist a guitar exam etc. Frequently, traditional methods mean the examiner is having to mark performances on instruments they cannot teach or play.
• Convenience - There is no need to travel to examination centres. You decide where to take the exam and with our app, you can record and submit your exams to us using just your smartphone or tablet.
The Music Teachers’ Board is a recognised awarding body, regulated by Ofqual and our higher grades 6-8 provide UCAS points.